Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jamaican Jungle Bread

This recipe surely does not count as a holiday recipe, but it is something I happened to have the ingredients for and have had in my to-try file for a very long time. I've been slacking this week for something to take to work. I just have not been inspired and running a little short on time this week. Hopefully this will do the trick.

JAMAICAN JUNGLE BREAD

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
1 8 oz. crushed pineapple, undrained
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 eggs

In a large bowl stir together the first 9 ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix bananas, pineapple, oil and eggs. Add all once to oat mixture. Stir just until liquid is absorbed. Do not overmix. Pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes until brown. Check center to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Cool in pan.

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I get inspired over the holidays by everyones wonderful sweets. I try and avoid baking too much over the holidays but this homey bread could inspire me Anj:D

Carla said...

Nothing wrong with some tropical bread to brighten the holidays.

Emily said...

I love tropical flavors together. I bet this would be delicious!

Anonymous said...

I made one loaf of this early this morning. We tried it and liked it! So, I just made two more loaves and have them baking in the oven right now. My neightbors will love you for posting this recipe! lol.
I am a south plains Texas lurker- just wanted to say hi and I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a great 2009.
Thanks for a fun blog to read.
Linda Kay

Anj said...

Linda Kay: Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the bread. I've had lots of requests for the recipe and everyone is happy about how quickly it goes together without even having to use a mixer. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas as well and hope 2009 brings all good things to you and yours.

Megan said...

My SIL gave me a recipe years ago that is called Jamaican Sweets. It seems to be this recipe but in muffins. I have wanted to try it for years and this might be the push I need. Was this just good or was it awesome?

Anj said...

Hey Megan -- this recipe is pretty darn good. After I shared this recipe with my sister I think she made about 20 loaves! It's so quick to throw together too -- don't need a mixer or anything. Kind of 'healthy' with the oats and not too much fat. Thanks for dropping by.