Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oatmeal Brittle

One of the first blogs I started reading was Anna Ginsberg's Cookie Madness.  I have her blog in my Google Reader and she posts almost every day.  Recently she posted a recipe for Oatmeal Brittle.  This recipe is definitely going on my Christmas goodie list.  It is easy and delicious. This is how I made it.

OATMEAL BRITTLE

1 stick butter, melted (I used salted)
1 tablespoon light corn syrup, Karo
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups oats (I used whole grain, not quick)
1/3 cup angel flake coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13×15 inch heavy duty rimmed baking pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together the butter, corn syrup, sugar, salt, vanilla and baking powder. Add the oats and coconut and stir until thoroughly mixed. Spread the mixture as thinly as you can across the baking sheet to the edges. Set in preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are browned. Let cool completely on a wire rack. When cool, the cookie should be perfectly crisp. Break it into pieces. 

2 comments:

Abby said...

I've never seen a recipe like this! I've been looking for Christmas baking recipes, and I think I'll give this one a try. Good to see your post! Hope you're doing great.

Anj said...

Hey Abby! You will love this recipe. It is awesome. So nice to see your name. Hope all is well in your world and those boys are growing. I miss seeing your posts. Take care and thanks for stopping by.