Sunday, November 16, 2014

Ken Jackson's Rice Dressing

I recently went to stay with my cousin. We were attending a pot luck gathering in the evening.  The theme for the pot luck was Thanksgiving so my cousin's husband, Ken Jackson made his 'famous' rice dressing or dirty rice.  I was born in Louisiana but raised in Texas.  I grew up on cornbread dressing.  In Louisiana it is traditional to have rice dressing or dirty rice.  Ken showed me his recipe so I am going to share here on my blog.

RICE DRESSING

2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 12 oz. package PictSweet Seasoning Blend (onions, red and green peppers, celery)
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
Slap Ya Mama seasoning to taste
2 16 oz. tubs Savoie's Rice Dressing Mix
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
2-1/2 cups Minute Rice

In a large dutch oven (he used the fabulous Magnalite brand which is also a Louisiana tradition), melt the butter and sweat the seasoning blend until translucent.  Add the ground beef and ground pork and cook until no longer pink.  Season with Slap Ya Mama seasoning to taste.  This adds a nice little kick.  Add the tubs of dressing mix and mix well.  Add dry Minute Rice and chicken broth and stir until all moisture is absorbed.  This is some good stuff!

No comments: