Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mushroom Fettuccine

I was hungry for Fettuccine Alfredo, but since that is usually like 'heart attack on a plate' I looked in my files for a lighter recipe and found this in my to-try file.

MUSHROOM FETTUCCINE

10 ounces uncooked fettuccine noodles
4 tablespoons butter (could use light)
1/3 cup flour
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup shallots or green onions, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups milk (I used skim - you could use anything from skim to heavy cream here)
1/2 cup white wine (I used fat-free chicken broth)
2 tablespoons parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare fettuccine according to package directions. Drain and rinse with warm water and keep warm. In a fry pan, melt butter over medium heat, stir in flour until crumbly. Add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until mixture is browned, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. Gradually add milk and broth (or wine). Stir continuously until mixture is smooth and comes to a boil. Stir for one minute. Add parsley. Toss with fettuccine. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love fettuccine.