Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

Dumplings are usually a cold weather food, but I am seriously wondering if we will ever see cool weather again. I have a friend whose husband likes these very much so I made up a batch this weekend to take over for them to enjoy.

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
1 whole chicken cut into pieces or 4 large chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can chicken broth
1 carrot shredded (I do not use carrots)
1 medium onion chopped
2 ribs celery chopped fine

Place chicken in a large pot, add vegetables if using, season to taste. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken. Cool enough to handle. Remove fat and bones from chicken and cut into pieces. Add back to broth and add one can of chicken broth. Simmer while making the dumplings.

DUMPLINGS:
3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 egg

Mix milk, egg, and cooled melted butter. Stir dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until dough forms a ball. Chill 15 minutes. Roll out dumplings onto a well-floured surface until about 1/8 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into squares. Toss dumplings together with flour from cutting surface. Drop dumplings one by one into broth that is at a rolling boil. Cook for about 15-20 minutes on low heat until dumplings are tender.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I LOVE chicken and dumplings. Yours look more like the kind I make - fluffy, sort of. My husband eats chicken and pastry, and the dough is in fact much flatter where he's from!

Anonymous said...

I grew up hating chicken & dumplings because the only ones my mom served were out of the can...Sweet Sue. She'd pour the Sweet Sue into a pot and add butter. Blech. My dad loved them. Later in life, someone served me real chicken & dumplings and I absolutely loved them.