Sunday, January 13, 2008

New York Style Cheesecake with Strawberry Topping

It's birthday week at work, we have 3 of them to celebrate. This is my offering. I like this style of cheesecake because it is not quite as creamy but dense. Even though I know all the tricks of a water bath, cooling it slowly, not mixing the eggs too much, this cheesecake always cracks on me, so I have to cover it up with a topping.

NEW YORK STYLE CHEESECAKE
Crust:
1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 stick melted butter
(I added some finely chopped pecans)

Mix together and press into a 9 inch springform pan that has been buttered. Set aside.

Filling:
4 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened at room temperature, beat until creamy
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, add slowly while mixing cream cheese
Add 1 tablespoon vanilla
Add 4 eggs one at a time while still mixing
Add 1 cup sour cream
Add 1/2 cup milk and while mixing that in add 4 tablespoons flour one at a time.

Pour into crust. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then reduce oven to 370 (do not open door). Bake for one hour. Remove and cool to room temperature. Add 1 can pie filling or fruit of your choice. Refrigerate overnight.

5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

No problem covering up this cheesecake with a toppiong for me..strawberries, cherries, blueberries...you name it!!

Deborah said...

I have a cheesecake like that that always cracks on me - but I don't care as long as it is covered with strawberries!! This sounds wonderful

Emily said...

Wow that looks good! You must be bring the best dessert in.

Guess what? My cheesecakes ALWAYS crack, and I know all of the tips, too. I don't think any of them work.
I've been messing up my cheesecakes for some time. You may already know this. When you take the cake out of the oven, run a knife around the outside, before you let it cool. I think this helps prevent cracking. I also know that you have to let it cool down really slowly.

I like to use chocolate ganache to cover up my cracks. Mmmm.

Anj said...

Thanks for commenting, ladies. The Paula Deen pumpkin cheesecake that I made at Thanksgiving had no cracks at all. I like the taste and texture of this one much better though. Never thought of chocolate ganache as a topping -- that sounds GREAT!

Carla said...

You've been tagged on my blog :)