Saturday, June 6, 2009

Top Ramen Salad

This is a recipe that is seen at many potluck dinners (we call them covered dish dinners down this way, but I know that is a term that not used everywhere). When I looked on Wikipedia I saw many different variations of the term, some quite interesting. In any case, this recipe has as many variations as the occasions it is served. It's a good salad for a hot summer day.

TOP RAMEN SALAD

1 package coleslaw mix
5 green onion sliced thin (tops included)
1 cup sliced almonds
2 packages ramen noodles, broken up (I used oriental flavor and poured hot water over them to hydrate them)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1/2 cup oil (I used a little less than 1/2 -- not quite to the top)
1/3 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar) + 2 tablespoons
1 packet flavoring mix from the noodles

Mix oil, sugar, vinegar, and flavoring packet. In large bowl, mix together coleslaw mix, onions, almonds, and broken ramen noodles. Add dressing and toss. Let stand for a few hours.

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is still one of my favourite all time salads Anj:D

Katy said...

I like that term, "covered dish dinner."

Gosh, as many times as I've seen that recipe, I've never made it. How much hot water do you use to hydrate?

This WOULD be perfect for a "covered dish dinner!" I'm going to make this at the next opportunity.

Anj said...

Katy: When I hydrated the noodles I just crumbled them in my colander and poured hot water over them until they came apart and were kind of soft. You could also put them in a bowl and cover them up with hot water and let them sit for a while and drain them too.

Also, I think I am going to amend the recipe and add a little more sugar and vinegar -- it was a little dry so I added about 2 more tablespoons of vinegar and sugar and whisked that together and poured over the salad. It is even better the next day when the flavors have time to meld. I'll fix the recipe now and that should do the trick. There are so many variations of this recipe -- some call for way too much oil so I cut that back on this recipe too. Some people also add craisins or raisins to it for a little sweet touch.

Abby said...

I love these salads.

And I like "covered dish", too. It has a retro vibe to it!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

I was just craving this the other day!

Katy ~ said...

Thanks for updating the recipe. I'm just a geek when it comes to following directions. If left to my own imaginings, one never knows what the result might be. Grins.

Megan said...

I have never had this but my friend was telling me about it just yesterday. She said it was Fab! but were keeping the noodles crunchy.It's on our menu for next months girl's camping trip!I might not be able to wait that long now that I have the recipe! ;)