Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I've always wanted to try to make Irish Soda Bread.  Being yeast challenged and this being a quick bread I am surprised I hadn't made it until now.  So few ingredients and such an easy thing.  I can tell it was a peasant bread when folks didn't have access to yeast so the buttermilk and the soda interact to make it rise.  It would be good with some Guiness Stew I think.  May the luck of the Irish be with you today!

IRISH SODA BREAD

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Make a well in the middle.  Mix together until dough comes together.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead into a small round.  Take a sharp knife and cut an X in the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush melted butter on top.  Enjoy with some Kerrygold Irish Butter.

No comments: