Sunday, March 3, 2013

Texas Coconut Pound Cake

I found this recipe on a sidebar ad on my Facebook page on a website Just a Pinch  I'm not too sure why it is called a Texas pound cake but it caught my eye.  My cousin recently told me about Ancel Coconut in a can.  It is shredded coconut in a can with some liquid.  I used this in place of the coconut called in the recipe and I think it made a nice moist texture.  I used the remaining liquid to make the glaze and topped it off with some toasted coconut and pecans (there's the Texas in it for my version).

TEXAS COCONUT POUND CAKE

2/3 cup shortening
1 cup butter (2 sticks, softened)
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut (I used the drained can of Ancel)
2 teaspoons coconut extract (I only had vanilla but think it needs the coconut flavor)

Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Add coconut flavoring. Sift flour and add baking powder. Alternate adding flour and milk to sugar mixture. Add coconut.

Spray tube pan.  Pour batter into pan.  Bake 350 for 1 hr to 1 hr 15 minutes (mine took 90 minutes).  Cool in pan for 10 minutes turn on cooling rack.  

Glaze with powdered sugar glaze and toasted coconut and pecans (optional) 

No comments: