Friday, April 19, 2013

Sweet Onion Bake

One of my best friends came to visit me this week.  She had sent me this recipe a while back and I wanted to try it.  It makes a great side dish for anything.  We paired it with baked chicken breasts, grilled asparagus, and a big salad.  There wasn't a drop left when we were done.  It was definite hit.  Pardon the picture, it does not do this dish justice.

ROBERTA'S ONION BAKE

7 1/2 cups sweet onions (3 large), sliced.
Sauté the onions in 4 tablespoons butter

Add:
1/2 cup long grain white rice which has been cooked in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2/3 cup half and half
Salt/pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, chopped, if desired.
Bake covered for 45 minutes at 325 degrees. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more at 325 degrees until light brown on edges.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I am sooooo going to make this. It looks fabulous! YUMMERS!!!