Saturday, December 1, 2007

Banana Bread

When I was a young bride, my then husband was in the Air Force. I met another young bride and we shared recipes and learned to cook new things together. I still have the recipe card with her recipe for this banana bread. We had a breakfast meeting at work and I took this in. This makes two large loaves and I took the other to a friend to take home to her husband who is a 'keeper' too.

THE BEST BANANA BREAD EVER
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas (I used 4)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped nuts (I used toasted pecans)
Cream butter and sugar, add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add dry ingredients alternating with sour cream. Fold in nuts. Pour into two large loaf pans that have been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Check middle with a knife to make sure it is done.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hmmm, I have some bananas starting-to-go on my counter...
This does sound like a good recipe. I like the sour cream addition in it.

Do you keep in contact with your friend? Maybe she has her own cooking site, too!

Marilyn said...

Angie,
I'm honored that you still use my recipe for banana bread. It is the ONLY one our family uses. In fact, when I wrote Marilyn's Ginger 'N Jazz, I included a healthier version, but I still make this one when I bake. I love your blog, my dear friend.