Friday, December 28, 2007

Cleaning Out the Pantry

I was cleaning out the pantry in anticipation of the new year and better eating with the holiday behind me. I kind of threw these little tarts together.

APPLE/CRANBERRY TARTS

I had some frozen tart shells in the freezer and I took them out and baked them for just a few minutes at 375 -- about 5 minutes -- not quite done. In a saucepan I took 1 apple that I peeled and cut into small pieces. I added about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Craisins, 2 tablespoons butter, about 1/2 cup of apple juice, and about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. I added about 1/4 cup of chopped pecans and heck I even through in a little bit of coconut. I simmered that on the stove top until the apples were just tender. I put the mixture into the partially cooked tart shells and then baked them another 5 minutes or so until golden brown. That helped with a little bit of getting the pantry back in order.

7 comments:

Emily said...

One's cabinet cleaning is another person's dessert. That doesn't even make sense.
Sounds good to me. You and me both, are looking forward to healthier eating in January.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Ahj..thank you so much for visiting my blog because now I have found yours. That is what I really enjoy about blogging. It is amazing that we have a fair bit in common as well. I work in a doctors office and my new boss is from Texas!

Anj said...

Em: That makes complete sense to me -- scary huh? Happy Healthy New Year.

Bellini: I love reading blogs. It takes you so many places. We do have a lot in common, medical, accounting, Texas, B.C. -- love it. Thanks for checking out my blog.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what you can pull together just digging through the pantry - these tarts look great.

Deborah said...

Oh, I really need to clean out my pantry. If I can come up with something like this, it will be totally worth the work!

test it comm said...

These tarts sound really good. Some times the best things can come out of those cleaning out the pantry throw together dishes.

Anonymous said...

I Love a Good TART