Monday, December 17, 2007

Snickerdoodles

I ran out of time this weekend. I had planned to make a more elaborate cookie that I found from a cookie exchange. But with time short, I just decided to make a classic cookie that is easy to do. They were well received at work today, so I guess it was a good choice.

SNICKERDOODLES

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt together. Add to creamed mixture until mixed well. In a small bowl stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Roll dough into walnut sized balls, then roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar. Place them onto an ungreased cookie sheet about two inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until edges are lightly brown. Remove from sheets to cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You can't go wrong with Snickerdoodles! I can't remember the last time I made them. I noticed my mom's recipe uses shortening, too. I wonder if you could use butter?
They look delish!