Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lemon Cake

My mom used to make a lemon pound cake with pecans in it during the holidays. I loved the texture of that cake. A friend of mine brought some lemons to work the other day that her uncle had grown in his back yard. I've never seen such juicy lemons. I had a lemon cake recipe in my files so I used up the lemon juice with that. It's not the same texture as the pound cake but 3/4 cup butter as opposed to a whole pound is probably better in some way.

LEMON NUT CAKE
3/4 cup softened butter
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind

Icing:
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 tablespoon lemon rind
1 cup powdered sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice

Cream butter, gradually beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Combine evaporated milk and lemon juice. Alternately add dry ingredients and evaporated milk mixture to butter mixture, beat until smooth. Stir in nuts and rind. Spoon into lightly buttered 10-inch bundt pan. Bake in slow oven, 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely. Drizzle with icing and sprinkle with nuts and lemon rind.
Icing: Stir powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over cake, sprinkle nuts and rind. I did not ice the cake, I just sprinkled powdered sugar. The icing really makes it though.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, this sounds wonderful. All from scratch! This recipe is definitely a keeper. I wish I get could my hands on some Texas lemons. I've never used freshly picked citrus fruit before.
Whoever ate the cake was very, very, lucky.

Anonymous said...

YUMSTER