Thursday, December 13, 2007

Winning Cookies


My little community had its Hometown Christmas this past weekend. I entered these cookies in the dropped cookie category and won first place! It is the first time I've ever entered a baking contest and I was pleasantly surprised. I got a framed certificate for my winning. I'll hang it in my kitchen. One of my friends entered in the rolled cookie category and won for that and also best of show since she decorated them. Way to go for her! I had to enter 4 cookies on a plain white plate for the judging and then the rest of the cookies went on the cake wheel for a prize.

COCONUT OATMEAL COOKIES WITH PECANS/WHITE CHOCOLATE/CRANBERRIES

1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs slightly beaten
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup oats (old-fashioned, not quick cooking)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup Craisins (optional)

Mix shortening, sugars, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Mix flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt together. Add to wet mixture. Stir in pecans, white chocolate chips, and Craisins.

Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations! I was hoping you would win a prize. 1st place in the drop category. That's really good. I would consider that the most popular category.
The cookies sound delicious. I love that they're loaded with all kinds of different flavors.
Congrats again! Yea! You should celebrate.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!