Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fantasy Fudge

When I was a girl my Daddy used to make this fudge every Christmas. He would cut it into pieces and layer it with waxed paper and put it in a special dish. When asked the recipe he always said it was a closely guarded secret. (Of course the recipe was on the back of the marshmallow cream jar). Sadly he passed away when I was 16. In going through his wallet, tucked away inside was the typewritten recipe for this fudge. Several years ago they changed the recipe a bit, and even though the recipe is right there on the jar, I always pull out Daddy's recipe to use and keep the tradition of making this each year.

FANTASY FUDGE

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 12 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine butter, sugar, and milk in a heavy 2-1/2 quart pan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, marshmallow cream, and vanilla. Stir quickly to melt chocolate. Pour into a buttered 9 x 13 pan. Cut into 1 inch squares.

3 comments:

Emily said...

This was a sad and happy story. I think that's wonderful that you have a tradition of making this fudge every year. I'm sure your father would be delighted.
I think that's funny that he kept the recipe in his wallet.

I've tried different fudge recipes, but I really like this one. I guess you can't beat it.

Emily said...

OH! Good luck in the cookie bake-off! Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to see what cookie(s) you enter.

Megan said...

Nice Story. I love posts like this!